The trip to meet the Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov followed claims by the UK and US that President Putin holds responsibility with President Bashar al-Assad for the gas attack on Syrian civilians which killed at least 87 people, including 20 children, last week.
Russia’s embassy in London tweeted: “It is deplorable that @BorisJohnson found himself unfit to stand Western ground on Syria in bilateral talks with Sergey Lavrov.”
Boris Johnson plans to pressure Putin through the G7
- Boris Johnson 'LOOKS DAFT' after cancelled Russia trip, says Salmond
- WW3 fears as Russia and Iran threaten to respond to US 'aggression'
But the UK Government held firm last night over the decision to ditch the talks and focus on a joint response with the G7 meeting of the seven largest economies in Italy next week.
Russia has consistently denied that Syrian forces used chemical weapons, insisting the incident at Khan Sheikhoun was caused by a hit on a rebel chemical weapons plant, a claim dismissed by the West.
Mr Johnson will push to demand Russia withdraws its forces from Syria when he meets G7 counterparts.
International Development Secretary Priti Patel also denied that the Foreign Secretary had been ordered to cancel the meeting by President Trump.
US Ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley holds photos of victims of the chemical attack Celebrities and Politicians React to Trump's Missile Attack on Syria Fri, April 7, 2017
Following news of the attack, celebrities and politicians expressed their thoughts on social media
Play slideshow REUTERS 1 of 6
Trump ordered a massive military strike against a Syria
This comes after it was confirmed US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson will go ahead with a planned trip to Moscow this week to deliver a “clear and coordinated” message on Kremlin support for Assad’s regime.
Ms Patel said: “This isn’t just about one voice, this is about the international community coming together and our Foreign Secretary is working with his American counterpart.”
Get Quotes on Home Insurance