The handset features a 5.71-inch edge-to-edge display with a 2,560 x 1,312 resolution.
The Android phone will be made out of titanium – instead of aluminium – which will help it survive accidental drops. It also features a ceramic backing.
Mr Rubin, who co-founded Android before selling it to Google in 2005, said the Essential phone’s dual camera set-up makes it one of the “world’s best”.
Android mastermind Andy Rubin has unveiled the Essential Phone
The Palo Alto-based firm also unveiled a household assistant called Home that will be powered by an assistant that also runs on the Essential Phone.
Essential Home will run Ambient OS, and Mr Rubin said it is designed to integrate with every other smart device in your home.
He said he’s willing to support all other assistants – including Apple’s Siri, Alexa, Cortana and Google Assistant.
The Essential Phone has a US price of $699 (£547) and a shipping date will be revealed in the next few weeks.
The company did not announce whether they plan to sell the phone directly to customers online or in physical stores.
Apple iPhone 8 – Leaked photos, prototypes, concept images, and renders Sun, January 1, 2017
iPhone 8 is shaping up to be one of the most impressive Apple smartphones to date, with glass panels on the front and rear of the device, a curved borderless OLED display and no Home Button
INSTAGRAM • APPLEDESIGNER 1 of 37
Apple iPhone 8 will debut a brand-new all-glass look, with a curved OLED display
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
The Essential Phone will be powered by a Qualcomm 835 processor, have 4GB of RAM and a healthy 128GB of storage.
It will also come bundled with it a 360-degree camera that can click on top of the smartphone’s 13-megapixel dual-camera system.
It will go on sale in four different colours – black, grey, white and green and the screen is protected by Corning’s Gorilla Glass 5.
Like other Android phones, it will have a real fingerprint sensor but it will NOT have a 3.5mm headphone jack. Just a USB Type-C port.
The Android-powered Essential Phone features a 5.71-inch edge-to-edge display
The Essential Phone will come bundled with a 360 degree camera that can snap onto the gadget
In a blog post, Mr Rubin revealed he started Essential after discussing the current state of technology on a night out with a friend.
He said: “As the night went on we inevitably began talking about what we didn't like about the current state of technology. Less and less choice. More and more unnecessary features cluttering our lives. An increasing sea of products that didn't work with one another…
“And just when I was about to drop another criticism it hit me: I am partly responsible for all of this.
“For all the good Android has done to help bring technology to nearly everyone it has also helped create this weird new world where people are forced to fight with the very technology that was supposed to simplify their lives. Was this what we had intended? Was this the best we could do?”
Mr Rubin said Essential’s products are created with six point mission statement in mind:
• “Devices are your personal property. We won’t force you to have anything on them you don’t want to have.”
• “We will always play well with others. Closed ecosystems are divisive and outdated.”
• “Premium materials and true craftsmanship shouldn’t be just for the few.”
• “Devices shouldn’t become outdated every year. They should evolve with you.”
• “Technology should assist you so that you can get on with enjoying your life.”
• “Simple is always better.”
Worst apps for draining your smartphone data REVEALED Fri, May 5, 2017
FROM Facebook to WhatsApp – these apps are the worst for eating through your monthly data allowance
EXPRESS NEWSPAPERS 1 of 9
Worst apps for draining your data
The Essential Phone will launch in four different colours and cost $699
ESSENTIAL PHONE KEY FEATURES
– 5.71-inch, 2,560 x 1,312 edge-to-edge display
– Screen protected by Corning's Gorilla Glass 5
– Will display at a 19:10 aspect ratio at 500 nits brightness
– Dimensions: 5.6 inch (141.5 mm) tall, 2.8 inches (71.1 mm) across, 0.3 inches (7.8 mm) thick.
– Will weigh less than 6.5 ounces (185 grams)
– Titanium body with a ceramic back
– 13-megapixel dual-camera system
– 360-degree camera accessory
– 128GB of internal storage
– 3,040mAh battery
– a USB Type-C port
– A fingerprint sensor
– Costs $699 (£543) and comes in black, grey, white and green