Talks to resolve the dispute over the role of guards on Southern Rail are being held today
Leaders of the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union will meet company officials under the chairmanship of the conciliation service Acas.
RMT members have taken almost 30 days of strike action since the dispute flared almost a year ago.
The talks come just days before the drivers' union Aslef announces the result of a ballot of members on a proposed deal to end a separate row over driver-only trains.
- Southern Railway and Aslef thrash deal to end travel misery
- Southern Railway drivers likely to accept deal to end long dispute
Aslef leaders are recommending the agreement for acceptance.
Ahead of today's talks, the RMT said new figures showed that the equivalent of 1,000 services a year continue to operate without a second member of staff, despite promises made by bosses of Southern's owners Govia Thameslink Railway.
Leaders of the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union will meet with company officials
The RMT said last month that at least six times more Southern services were travelling without a second member of staff than was promised.
We said we would roster a second person to every train that has one today, and we are
Southern Rail spokesman
At the time the company faced industrial action including a ban on overtime by drivers which led to delays and cancellations.
The union said the new figures provided by rail workers and passengers from January 20 to February 6, when there was not any industrial action, showed that at least 26 trains did not have a scheduled on board supervisor – an average of three services a day or 1,000 a year.
RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: “These figures confirm that as a bare minimum the equivalent of 1,000 services will no longer have a second member of staff in addition to the driver.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
RMT said services continue to operate without a second member of staff, despite promises Southern Fail: Commuters mock service in these hilarious tweets Wed, August 31, 2016
15 of the funniest tweets from angry Southern commuters.
1 of 16
“That's 1,000 journeys where a disabled passenger may not be able to get on or off the train or where passengers and the driver are at increased risk from anti-social behaviour or if something goes wrong, such as a derailment or fire.
“These are only the instances that have been reported and I have to say that our members think these figures are the thin end of the wedge and instances of driver-only trains are far more widespread and increasing.
The talks are being held under the chairmanship of the conciliation service Acas
“Guaranteeing a second member of safety critical staff on every train is the only way you can guarantee access for all and a safer journey for passengers.“
A Southern spokesman said: “We said we would roster a second person to every train that has one today, and we are.
“However, we also said in exceptional circumstances when an on board supervisor is unavailable we will run the train as it is passengers' interests to do so.”
- 'Significant decline' in passenger satisfaction with train services
- Passengers send angry signal to ScotRail
- Southern rail could be renationalised under Government plans